Skip to content

Galveston Family Lawyers

Free Case Evaluation

(409) 904-0043


Get Started Today!

Free Case Evaluation


Addressing Non-Compliance with Family Court Orders

Updated: Sep 28, 2023 @ 11:08 am

Reading Time: 3 Minutes

If you’re a party to a ruling in family court, you probably have the expectation that all parties will strictly adhere to court orders. Yet, the instances where court orders aren’t followed are frequent. When this happens, knowing the steps to rectify the situation can be very helpful.

If you’re a party to a family or civil court order in Galveston County and your counterparty isn’t adhering to the court’s orders, we can help you. Tell us about the situation. Call us at 409-904-0043. At Tad Nelson & Associates, we provide free initial case evaluations. So, feel free to give us a call.

Identifying Non-Compliance

Non-compliance with court orders is a tangible breach of legal mandates, be it child support, visitation rights, alimony, or other family court orders.

Be sure to meticulously document any instances of non-compliance. Comprehensive records of violations, supported by tangible evidence, help in the legal battle. With good record-keeping practices, you can be sure that your complaint is respected by the court.

Initiating Legal Action

To address the issue, one must promptly act by filing an Enforcement Petition as prescribed by the Texas Family Code. In the enforcement petition, the specific facets of the order being violated should be outlined. This isn’t merely a shuffle of paperwork but a way to force the court to acknowledge the violation and take action.

Sometimes, we have to push courts to pursue justice, to make whole what was fractured.

The Pursuit of a Contempt Ruling

When court orders are defied, seeking a Contempt of Court ruling under the Texas Family Code is a fair measure. This action can lead to varied remedies, from compensatory jail time to fines and clarification or modification of the original order.

Modification Potential

Whether it’s due to substantial changes in circumstances or mutual agreement, modification is possible under the Texas Family Code §156.001. This option is the court’s way of acknowledging that things change. We helped with hundreds of court order modifications in Galveston County. If you need help with your situation, call us and talk with Tad or Amber today.

Legal Fees: A Possible Reprieve

Per the Texas Family Code, if the enforcement action is victorious, the court may order the violator to pay your legal fees.

Amicable Resolutions

Mediation & Agreement

Sometimes, even though people argue and disagree, they can find a way to make up and agree in the end. The mediation process is an alternative way to come to an agreement.

Mediation gives separating couples a chance to sort out their issues without always going to court. It’s about finding a solution, not getting back at someone. As experienced divorce lawyers, we can help with the mediation process and make sure you get a fair deal.

Have Questions?

Talk with a Divorce Lawyer Today!

If you have questions about court order enforcement, mediation, or another topic we’ve covered, we encourage you to contact our law offices today to speak with either Attorney Tad Nelson or Amber Spurlock.

If you’re seeking legal representation, we’re here to help. Call us at 409-904-0043 or visit our law offices today. We provide affordable legal representation and flexible payment options for your convenience.


Contact A Lawyer

Schedule Your Free Consultation Today

Contact Us
Time limit exceeded. Please complete the captcha once again.


State Bar of Texas
Martin Dale Hubbard Client Champion
Rated by Super Lawyers
AV Preeminent Lawyers

Our Blog

If you have questions about the information provided on this website, please contact us.

Content on this website is for informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.